Monday 9/21 and Tuesday 9/22
Week 5 Summary and Analysis continued
- In-class mini-writing with fun-filled prompt
- The gifting of the Summary and Analysis assignment sheet
- Read sample article and sample summary and analysis paper – discuss
- Lecture – Paraphrasing vs. summarizing vs. quoting
- Casual peer review of practice summary and practice analysis
- Read pp. 83-115 “The Incident” novel
- Do all five of these paraphrasing exercises (turn in Wednesday 9/23). Typing not necessary, though it is appreciated.
Wednesday 9/23 and Thursday 9/24
- Return memoir papers – -discussion and showcase
- common grammar/syntax/format issues (apostrophe lesson, no space between paragraphs)
- read a good reflection
- read paper excerpts
- Discuss paraphrasing homework exercise in class – read aloud and discuss samples together.
- MLA/ grammar quiz with candy!
- Study the sample rhetorical analysis paper I handed out in class (“Why I Won’t Buy an iPad…”)
- Study this sample rhetorical analysis: http://www.stlcc.edu/Student_Resources/Academic_Resources/Writing_Resources/Writing_Handouts/Rhetorical-Analysis-Sample-Essay.pdf
- Lock in your article or essay you will be writing about (bring to class on Monday)
- Read The Curious Incident pp. 115-140.