This week we are going to get into the meat of the Popular Cultural Analysis assignment, by breaking down the expectations of the paper in a detailed way.
Monday 10/12 – Tuesday 10/13
- Pop culture flash write
- Review structure of paper
- “Wallowing in complexity” (web)
- A good thesis starts with a question (handout)
- Surprising argument (handout)
- Nutshelling your argument (handout)
- Do nutshell worksheet. Decide on paper topic. Bring worksheet with topic to class on Wed/Thurs.
- Google and find two sample pop culture texts on your topic. Sources can be online. Read them. Bring list of them in on Wednesday/Thursday, along with brief summary (annotation-length — 1, 2 sentences) of each, and short paragraph of how these texts might be useful for your paper. TURN IN FOR CREDIT.
Wednesday/Thursday 10/14- 10/15
- Workshop thesis with thesis circle game
- Structure paper using outline, tree diagram or flowchart (with handouts)
- How to Write a Kickin’ Introduction (with handouts)
- In-class writing – either paper structure, or introduction
- Write paper – this draft should have a rough summary and conclusion. Should be finished, but rough.
- Bring in 3 rough drafts of paper for peer review on Mon/ Tues 10/26 -10/27